At a glance:
SPM or equivalent, 3 credits, pass in Bahasa Melayu
2 years / 4 semesters
incl. one semester industrial training
Intakes: January, March, July
Diploma in Culinary Arts
KDU’s Culinary Arts and Chef programmes are easily the best chef training programmes offered in Malaysia. The two-year course is highly practical; you will learn everything you need in order be an all-round chef – and even a little bit more.
Our IMI Diploma in Culinary Arts is designed for those who love all things culinary and have an innate interest in the subject of food as art. This is a unique opportunity for you to learn how to use the freshest ingredients to create tantalising gourmet dishes that are worthy of the world's finest art pieces. With 75% of the course being practical-based and training in various aspects of the culinary field, it won't be long that you're hailed as the next Gordon Ramsay.
Modules comprise hot and cold cooking, butchery, and backery for example, but even chocolate making or molecular cooking. And who else can offers this in a diploma course?
The hands-on training is complemented with a few theory classes and an unique entrepreneurship module in your third semester. In the last semester you will have the opportunity to further refine everything you have learned in your half-year industrial placement. This can be done either locally or abroad. CTI could find a placement for you in Europe or the US.
Your career with Culinary Arts
And then? You may go out and start an exciting career, as a chef in a world class hotel, resort or restaurant. You could join a catering company, work for event organisers or even start your own business.
Or you could opt to continue studying, either by joining our degree programme, BA International Hotel & Tourism Management (with major : European Culinary Management) or our Higher Diploma in European Culinary Management.
Why should you pursue an IMI culinary diploma in KDU?
- Our IMI diploma give you the choice to focus in culinary management of the practical aspects of being a chef.
- Our courses feature Molecular Cuisine, which is a first for culinary diploma programmes in Malaysia.
- Our lecturers are from diverse nationalities; Germans, French, Australians and Malaysians.
- Our culinary programmes are taught by award-winning chefs.
- We have visiting IMI professors every few months to teach and conduct seminars.
- Our IMI Diploma in Culinary Arts has the most practical-based subjects amongst other institutions with 75% of classes being kitchen-based, therefore making this the best hands-on culinary programme in Malaysia.
Year 1 Semester 1
- Food Nutrition, Sanitation & Safety
- Menu Design & Development
- Introduction to Hospitality Operations
- Introduction to Patisserie Skills
- Professional Development & Planning I
- Culinary Essentials
- Principals of Garde Manger
- Business Language & Culture I: English
Year 1 Semester 2
- Business Language & Culture: Introductory French / Introductory German
- Culinary Artistry & Design
- International Cuisine
- Food, Beverage & Labour Cost Control
- Advanced Bakery & Pastry Arts
- Food Service Operations
- Entrepreneurship Studies
- Professional Development Planning II
Year 2 Semester 1
- Industrial Placement
Year 2 Semester 2
- Business Language & Culture: Intermediate French / Intermediate German
- Commodity Cooking
- Advanced Butchery
- Chocolates & Confections
- Classical French Cuisine & Service
- Hospitality Facility, Layout & Design
- Molecular Cuisine
Compulsory modules for Malaysian students
- Hubungan Etnik
- Tamadun Islam dan Tamadun Asia
Compulsory modules for International students
- Malaysian Studies
- Bahasa Melayu Komunikasi