At a glance:
SPM or equivalent, 3 credits, pass in Bahasa Melayu
If you are passionate about cooking up a storm and yet still want to be able to foray out into the management level, this diploma is perfect for you. In this course, not only will you discover various cooking techniques and subjects that include butchery, patisserie, culinary arts and design, but you will also be exposed to hands-on and managerial skills needed to succeed upon graduation. KDU’s Culinary Arts and Chef programmes are easily the best chef training programmes available in Malaysia.
The two-year course is very hands-on; but offers a higher share of theory subjects then the Diploma in Culinary Arts! Therefore, it is suitable for all those future chefs, who aspire to also work outside of the kitchen, managing outlets.
You will learn everything you need in order be an all-round chef – and even a little bit more. Modules comprise the basics, such hot and cold cooking, butchery, and backery, but even molecular cooking is on the syllabus. And who else can offers this in a diploma course?
In the third semester the course becomes really exciting, since here all the essential theory modules take place. These include our unique entrepreneurship module, marketing and kitchen maintanance & design.
In the last semester you will have the opportunity to further refine everything you have learned in your half-year industrial placement. This can be done either locally or abroad. CTI could find a placement for you in Europe or the US.
Your career as Professional Chef:
And then? You may go out and start an exciting career. You could join a hotel or resort, manage your own restaurant, find employment with catering companies or work as consultants in the food industry.
Or you can opt to continue studying, either by joining our degree programme, BA International Hotel & Tourism Management (with major : European Culinary Management) or our Higher Diploma in European Culinary Management.
Why should you pursue an IMI culinary diploma in KDU?
- Our IMI diploma give you the choice to focus in culinary management of the practical aspects of being a chef.
- Our courses feature Molecular Cuisine, which is a first for culinary diploma programmes in Malaysia.
- Our lecturers are from diverse nationalities; Germans, French, Australians and Malaysians.
- Our culinary programmes are taught by award-winning chefs.
- We have visiting IMI professors every few months to teach and conduct seminars.
- Our diploma programmes feature and international study tour.
Year 1 Semester 1
- Food Nutrition, Sanitation & Safety
- Menu Design & Development
- Introduction to Hospitality Operations
- Introduction to Patisserie Skills
- Professional Development & Planning I
- Culinary Essentials
- Principals of Garde Manger
- Business Language & Culture I: English
Year 1 Semester 2
- Business Language & Culture: Introductory French / Introductory German
- Culinary Artistry & Design
- International Cuisine
- Food, Beverage & Labour Cost Control
- Advanced Bakery & Pastry Arts
- Food Service Operations
- Entrepreneurship Studies
- Professional Development Planning II
Year 2 Semester 1
- Industrial Placement
Year 2 Semester 2
- Business Language & Culture: Intermediate French / Intermediate German
- Culinary Management Skills
- Marketing Fundamentals
- Chocolates & Confections
- Hospitality Facility, Layout & Design
- Molecular Cuisine
Compulsory modules for Malaysian students
- Hubungan Etnik
- Tamadun Islam dan Tamadun Asia
Compulsory modules for International students
- Malaysian Studies
- Bahasa Melayu Komunikasi